The History of 
Emmanuel Episcopal Church
HomeChurch HistoryThe Reverend Philip MorganSunday SchoolCalendarOutreach

Emmanuel Episcopal Church
Emmanuel Episcopal Church - 1901
Interior view - 1900
The flooding of the Rapidan River - June 27, 1995
Moving the church away from the river and raising it off of the ground.
January 1998
    Rapidan began in the 18th century as a small milling community know as Waugh's Ford. The settlement was renamed Rapid Ann Station with the coming of the Orange and Alexandria Railroad in 1854. It was renamed Rapidan in 1886. As a strategic railroad stop and river crossing, the village suffered several Civil War raids during which most of its buildings were destroyed. The village emerged from the war as a shipping point for wood products. Significant to this area is Emmanuel Episcopal Church with it's "Carpenter's Gothic" style of construction. Emmanuel is located in the area known today as The Rapidan Historic District.
    Emmanuel Episcopal Church was built in 1874 and was consecrated on December 11, 1874. The Guild Hall was built in 1888.
    On December 21, 1902, President Theodore Roosevelt along with his family made the trip from Wilmer mansion to Emmanuel to attend the morning service.
    Throughout the years, Emmanuel has seen numerous times when flooding from the Rapidan river has caused damage to the church. The most significant damage was caused during a flood that occurred on June 27, 1995. During this flood, the waters reached four feet, nine inches high within the church. The flood waters washed away all of the church records, along with prayer books and hymnals. When the waters receded, the interior and contents of the church were left coated in mud. Before restoration could be completed from the damage caused by the 1995 flood, Emmanuel was flooded again on September 6, 1996. The flood waters reached three feet, seven inches high within the church. 
     In January of 1998, Emmanuel was moved about one hundred feet from it's original location to it's present day location. Emmanuel is still located within a flood plain, so it was raised up off of the ground to prevent future flooding of the church. The Guild Hall, which was originally located at the back of the church, is now located on the east side of the church.
    After Emmanuel was relocated and restored, a fresco mural was painted within the arches located at the front of the church. The mural is the visual interpretation of  the 1995 flood and afterwards, by artist Megan Marlatt.
Fresco mural by artist Megan Marlatt
Emmanuel Episcopal Church - 2010